In the past few months, I have experienced a shift in my taste buds and now prefer spicier dishes. In an attempt to satisfy my cravings, I have visited every Mexican restaurant I have been able to find nearby, but eating out can become expensive. As a result, I decided it was time to start saving money and recreate my favorite Mexican dishes at home. Below is one of the concoctions that has become a favorite:
Chicken and Veggie Fajitas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons cumin, salt and black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 purple onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 can black beans
- Sour cream, salsa & cheese for toppings
- 8 6-inch wheat tortillas
- Spanish Rice for side dish (suggested)
- Combine 2 tablespoons cumin, salt and ground black pepper into dish. Rinse chicken breasts and dip both sides of chicken in spice mix.
- Grill chicken breasts on Foreman grill for 9-10 minutes (or timeframe indicated for your model).
- While chicken is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with chopped garlic cloves in skillet. Add onion and bell peppers to skillet and allow them to cook approximately 10 minutes or until soft, tossing them occasionally.
- When chicken is done cooking, cut into fajita strips and add to vegetables in skillet. Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of cumin over chicken an veggies and toss to mix it up. Remove from heat.
- Use sour cream, black beans, and cheese as a base on the wheat tortilla, and pile hot chicken and veggies on top. Add avocado slice and salsa, if preferred.