If there is one thing I enjoy more than my mother-in-law herself, it’s her food. (Laugh there, please).
One of my most favorite meals that Juanita makes is lovingly referred to as “schlop,” due to its stew like hodgepodge nature. Despite the fact that it merely looks like an italian sausage tomato soup, it has a world full of flavor and delicious blend of vegetables. It is also perfect for these chilly days, as it’s warm and comforting.
According to her email recipe, in which she concludes with “I hope I got this right,” here is how the world-famous schlop is created:
- 2 pkgs of mild/hot italian sausage links (approx 5-6/pkg)
- 3 sweet/bell peppers (or 2 green & 1 red pepper)
- 1 lg vidalia/sweet onion
- 1 lg can of crushed tomatoes (approx 26oz)
- 2 15oz cans of diced tomatoes (try basil & onion or onion & oregano for more flavor)
- 1 lg package of fresh mushrooms (b/c my BFF told me that maggots are in the cans)
- 1 sm can of tomato paste
- 2 sm cans of “no-salt added” tomato sauce (or 1 15oz can)
- Cut sausage links in half.
- Partially brown sausage in large skillet small amount of water & drain grease (if any). Brian suggests cooking them for 5-7 minutes.
- Pour all tomato products into large stew pot. Add sausage.
- Season sauce with oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, and italian seasoning to taste.
- Slice onion and green/red peppers & add to sauce and sausage mixture.
- Add sliced mushrooms. (The fresh kind, sans maggots).
- Simmer for about 30 mins after mixture starts boiling.
Serve with italian or garlic bread, and/or maybe wine. Although I will note that milk goes very well with this meal as well.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do! From our family to yours,
Stephanie, Brian & Juanita
9 thoughts on “Juanita’s Schlop (a.k.a. Italian Sausage Stew)”
yummm:) There is no place or person that can cook food like a Mother:)
Amen! If that isn’t the truth!
It is, pinkie promise!!!
“world famous” – love it! :0
That looks yummy!! I didn’t know you are married! 🙂
Not yet John! Engaged and together 9 years, so she is my mother-in-law in my mind at this point. 🙂
Congrats Stephanie! That’s so sweet of you too. It is incredibly helpful when you get along with your special one’s family as I always have. My mom-in-law is a really sweet little lady. God bless you two.
Thanks so much John! You’re absolutely right! 🙂