Before making this recipe, ensure that:
- Smoke detector batteries are removed.
- Neighbors have been notified that it is just you cooking.
- Fans are ready to blow smoke away from smoke detectors, should you not be able to disconnect them.
- Dog has recently gone to the bathroom, to avoid a mess from the fright caused by the smoke detectors going off.
- Makeup and hair are done, and you are not in your junior’s section PJs- should the fire department arrive…with cute firemen.
- Fire extinguisher is nearby. Just in case…
Ok, now that we have that covered, may I present meatless meal option #2 for Lent- Eggplant Lasagna.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large eggplants (about 3 pounds total ), sliced lengthwise (about 16 slices total)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 small jar marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15-ounce container ricotta
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (1 1/2 ounces)
- Heat oven to 375° F. Divide the oil between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Dividing evenly, arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the baking sheets and turn to coat in the oil; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bake the eggplant, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until soft and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes; let cool. Attempt not to start on fire. If smoking should occur, remove from oven immediately- let cool.
- Meanwhile, in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, spread1 cup of the marinara sauce. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta, oregano, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of the sliced eggplant across the baking dish as you would lasagna noodles. Use half of pre-made cheese and egg mixture and layer on top of eggplant slices.
- Add another layer of eggplant slices and top with remaining cheese and egg mixture. Add the remainder of marinara sauce, the other 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese to top.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.